Saturday, September 8, 2012

Chasing Pavements by Neha Yazmin


This is a story of two people with many secrets who end up helping each other get by those secrets and fall in love.

Meet Jamie.  Jamie comes from a privileged family.  When the love of his life, Sarah, publically humiliates him, he becomes somewhat of a recluse.  Jamie pretty much stops living, doing just enough to get by.  He even suffers from writer’s block, unable to write his beautiful lyrics and music.  That, is until he meets Mutki.

Mutki has her own secrets.  Being a middle child she feels her family, except her younger sister, ignore her.  When her university boyfriend invites her to a party things do not go as planned and her life is shattered.  She is not considered damaged and feels she will never lover again.

Mutki gets a new job and starts taking her lunches outside by the needle.  This is where Jamie and Mutki first meet and start their friendship.

This is not your typical chic lit book.  There is no sloppy romance and no mushy words.  This is truly a one of a kind book.

I loved how Jamie and Mutki’s secrets were not told at the beginning of the story.  Little by little the story was told to me and it was told perfectly.  Jamie started out being the character I was not sure I would ever really like or understand, of course I ended up truly loving him.  I mean how could you understand someone who would not communicate with anyone, even when asked a direct question.

Mutki was a character I felt sympathy for.  I felt sorry that her family ignored her and did not offer her the support she needed and deserved.  But I also was in awe of her strength.  Even with no encouragement from Jamie she refuses to stop hoping to see him every day at lunch.  Rain, snow, sleet, ice, nothing kept her away from the needle every day.

I cannot believe this is Neha’s first book.  It is perfect.  This is definitely a must read.

Neha on Twitter & Facebook

*Disclosure: Charlotte received this book from the author for a honest review.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for reading and reviewing CHASING PAVEMENTS Charlotte. I'm glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete